Our experienced dentists may recommend the use of pediatric dental appliances to prevent injury and reduce the need for more extensive treatments in the future. Pediatric dental appliances may be used as a preventive treatment or as a treatment for an ongoing dental issue. There are many types of appliances available, and we will work with you to determine which type of appliance will be most beneficial for your child. Please call Adaptive Dental Associates at 908-847-4498 to schedule your child’s appointment with Dr. Joseph Maggio and associates, and to learn more about pediatric dental appliances in Phillipsburg, New Jersey.
Each type of pediatric appliance fulfills a specific function to improve your child’s smile and oral health. Here are some of the most common types of pediatric dental appliances:
- Mouth Guards – children should wear sports mouth guards when engaging in any activity that could potential injure their mouths, especially athletic and recreational activities. Our dentists may also create customized night guards for children who grind their teeth at night.
- Space Maintainers – sometimes baby teeth fall out too soon. Space maintainers work to hold the open space in reserve for the adult tooth and prevent the other teeth from shifting into the empty space, which may cause problems with tooth alignment in the future. Space maintainers may be fixed in place or removeable.
- Thumb Sucking Appliances – if your child has a sucking habit, our dentists may recommend a “crib” to prevent thumb sucking and break your child’s habit.
- Expanders – When a dental arch is too narrow, or if your child has an overbite or crossbite, our dentists can provide an expander to widen their dental arch and give the teeth enough space to be properly aligned. Expanders may also be recommended prior to oral surgery for children with cleft palates.
- Bionator – bionator devices are recommended when your child’s jaws are not growing proportionally. This device positions the lower jaw forward so that the teeth will erupt and align properly.
For more information about pediatric dental appliances, and to schedule your child’s consultation with our dentists, please contact our office today.