Your post-operative care following implant placement surgery is incredibly important. In the initial days following your surgery, avoid disturbing the surgical site. Do not rinse, spit, or touch your mouth for 24 hours following surgery.
We also recommend that you follow these guidelines:
- Antibiotics – use all prescribed antibiotics as directed. This includes the use of prescribed oral rinses alongside a warm saltwater rinse.
- Bleeding – blood in the saliva is normal for the first 24 hours after surgery. You can lessen the bleeding by gently biting down on the gauze pad until bleeding stops.
- Pain management – your anesthetic will wear off shortly after the surgery. Begin taking an over-the-counter pain medication before this occurs (such as Tylenol, ibuprofen, Aleve, etc.).
- Diet – your initial diet should consist of soft foods, and you may resume a normal diet as soon as you feel capable of doing so.
- Stay hydrated – drinking plenty of fluids is critical.
- Hygiene – keep the surgical site clean. Brush normally, but avoid the sutures and do not brush the implant. The antibiotics and saltwater rinses will disinfect the implant for you.
- Swelling – some swelling is normal after your procedure. You can minimize swelling by keeping your head elevated and lowering your activity level. Use ice packs for the first 48 hours to minimize facial swelling.
- Wearing your prosthesis or night guard – do not wear partial dentures, full dentures, flippers, retainers, or night guards for at least 10 days after surgery.
- Smoking – do not smoke for at least 2 weeks after your surgery. Smoking will increase your risk of infection and may cause your implant to fail.
Your recovery from implant placement surgery will depend on your individual case and treatment plan. Dr. Robert Lo Giudice and associates, our dentists, will schedule follow-up appointments with you as needed.
For more information about post-op implant surgical instructions, and to schedule an appointment at our dental office in Phillipsburg, New Jersey, please call Adaptive Dental Associates at 908-847-4498.