Before any procedure involving general anesthesia, there are a number of things that you will need to do. Leading up to the day of surgery, you should:
- Begin fasting at midnight if you have a morning appointment. If your procedure is scheduled in the afternoon, do not eat anything for 8 hours before your appointment.
- Drink only clear fluids (water, apple juice, black coffee, sports drinks, etc.) while you are fasting. Do not drink anything within 6 hours of your procedure.
- Do not consume alcohol or use tobacco products within 24 hours of your procedure. You should also refrain from smoking or drinking for 24 hours after treatment.
Do NOT use the following medications for at least 2 days before your surgery:
- MAO inhibitors
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
You may continue taking the following medications with small sips of water prior to surgery:
- Cardiac medications
- Pulmonary medications
- Anti-seizure medications
- Anti-Parkinson’s medications
On the day of your surgery, we recommend that you:
- Brush your teeth as usual, but do not swallow any water or toothpaste.
- Do not wear makeup or nail polish.
- Remove your contact lenses prior to surgery.
- Do not wear jewelry or dentures.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and flat-soled shoes.
- Bring someone with you to drive you home.
- Have someone available to stay with you for at least 12 hours after returning home.
You will not be fully aware after your surgery, and you will not be able to return to work or school.
If you are under 18 years of age, you must have a parent or guardian present for the extent of your surgery.
If you have any questions about our pre-surgical instructions for procedures involving general anesthesia or about your dental treatment in Phillipsburg, New Jersey, please contact our office at 908-847-4498. Dr. Joseph Maggio, Dr. Robert Lo Guidice, their team of dentists, and the resto of their team at Adaptive Dental Associates will be happy to provide you with additional information.